PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 22:53
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stuff Chuks, sad but true!

Well, I couldn't agree with you more. The regulator is expected to drive the system. Though most countries Claim to have autonomous CAA's, some of them are still tied to the "political apron strings" of the politicians that appoint the Director Generals or bosses of the regulatory agency. Depressed economies need tighter controls to ensure compliance, and Africa is not quite ready for the philosophy of self regulation. Even where a policy and legal framework exists, the implementation is deeply flawed. Reasons: political interference and lack of skilled competent personnel.
Most of the locally regulated airlines cannot be trusted to maintain the proper balance between economics and safety. The environment breeds complacency which easily leads to reckless disregard for safe practices. Considering th level of infrastructure, Africa is not ready for blanket free market driven private sector liberalization of aviation. A lot of the countries have signed open skies agreements without considering the far reaching consequences for the indigenous industry. My guess is when the competition finally takes advantage of the open skies, the only African airlines that will survive are those, that are members of IATA's three alliances. The short term result is the governements will lose strategic control of their aviation sectors. There will be a lot of aviating, but it'll neither result in transfer of skills for the region nor add to the GDP of the continent. In summary; capital flight on a colossal scale. The long term result will be; Africa' s participation in aviation will only be as a market; providing passengers. Without local airlines, and no indigenous skilled personnel. Pilots, engineers, controllers, etc will all be extinct. Currently, Asia pacific region is ready to absorb anyone with 2500 hrs on a commercial jet. From Boeings estimate, they'll need 24 new pilots everyday to cope the the total demand projected at 180,300 in 2029. Africa isn't training enough to meet their current manpower needs not to mention the extra projected 13,200 required by 2029. Who knows, there may no need for them. The leaders are probably oblivious to the strategic effect of aviation to economic development. 25 years ago the industry looked promising for the AFI region, now it is doubtful. The industry is technologically driven. Training with outdated technology is no training at all. Our 727 and DC-10 engineering geniuses are now completetly behind the drag curve.

Aviation design, manufacture, testing, maintenance , training and even operating may become elusive unless of course sanity prevails......

Thanks guys for all your input and comments.
NB flying4love, I'm sorry but I didn't quite understand your question/comment

Last edited by DRPAM007; 21st Jun 2011 at 23:18.