PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning strike. What happens?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 22:36
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was in a 767 that was struck by lightning shortly after take off from Gatwick. Big bang and flash . We dumped fuel and landed, not sure if that's an SOP or whether it was something that had gone tits up on that particular a/c. They put me in a very nice hotel for the night (I was flying non cattle for once so really got my money's worth) .

We took off in the same a/c the next day, which caused a few worried frowns and at about the point when we should have been halfway across the pond I was looking out of the window at the green fields of Ireland. I knew we had some kind of problem but was keeping my own counsel when the pilot came on with the most classic PA announcement I've ever heard:-

'Ladies and gentlemen I have the worst possible news.......' and before he got the rest of the sentence out a great unified scream came from the back of the plane before he continued with 'we have to return again as our radio system has malfunctioned'. Cue relieved moan from back of a/c.

I had another night in a splendid hotel, Manchester this time as for some reason he diverted there and if I remember correctly I had some if not all of the fare refunded.

Lightning strikes are fine by me.