PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'll talk, you fight - PM
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 21:31
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lions, led by donkeys?

I knew we would end up at this pass; at my discharge interview (hat & coffee) with the Stn Cdr in the mid '90s, I voiced my concern for the future of an RAF in the hands of the likes of Mr Portillo & his ilk. The Stn Cdr declined this golden opportunity to debate such weighty matters with a mere Chf Tech, resplendent though I was in my Best Blue, and gazed wistfully out of his window at the Phantom parked on God's Acre.

The inevitable passing of the generation of politicians who saw active service in WW2/Korea has left our Forces in the hands of a generation of 'leaders' for whom the 'Rambo' movie genre has provided the foundation of their military vision. Tony Blair, upon his postcode change to a Downing St address, revealed his intimate knowledge of the structure of HM Forces by estimating SAS strength at 40,000 (actual at the time: c400).

I would implore & entreat those retiring from HM Forces to become politically active, in order that we may once again have elected representatives with an understanding of matters military.

However, if a more honourable career path is desired, then perhaps drug dealing/gun running/paedophilia could be considered.

I'm sure that I hear 'Drake's Drum' beating..............

HB