PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 17:41
MOQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checkboard and FGD135, I completely agree with what you are saying actually...

When AIP states "For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure", I believe it assumes one's ability (aircraft & crew) and intention to conduct such an approach.

If you are unable to conduct RNAV approach, you will need to be visual at or above LSALT to continue the descent. Arriving at the aerodrome having IAP that you can't use, is exactly same as arriving at aerodrome that has no IAP.

1. The logic test has failed. Under your assertion, a flight in the middle of the day, with 8 oktas blue sky, must plan an alternate if the destination has an IAP but no TAF. There could be another aerodrome a couple of miles away, with no IAP (and no TAF) but it wouldn't require an alternate - according to you.
Alternate requirement becomes issue obviously in marginal conditions only. If all available forecast is indicating CAVOK condition, you are no longer dependant on IAP to get visual, therefore availability of IAP should not be a factor when considering alternate requirement. So, I do agree with you. We should be able to not carry alternate for either destinations.

2. Your assertion applies equally to VFR flight - and is utterly non-sensical when so applied. According to you, the VFR cockie needs to find out if his destination has an IAP. If it does (but has no TAF), he must then carry alternate fuel to an aerodrome that doesn't (or has a TAF)!
Again, in VFR flight, you are obviously unable to carry out IAP. Availability of IAP should not be a factor when considering alternate requirement in this case as well.

AIP is just poorly written...as usual. I don't think we need to carry alternate in the examples above, but I do understand the logic of people who think otherwise, if you just read the AIP as it is without considering its intentions.

It will all make sense if AIP reads, "For aerodrome with an instrument approach procedure (and the pilot is able to, and intend to carry out an instrument approach because the condition is marginal)...TAF is required and if you don't have it, better have some fuel to go elsewhere." (or something along these lines...)