PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 14:05
Tailspin Turtle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In addition, perhaps you could give us a definitive analysis of exactly who is providing the accurate information here and who is 'bending every bit of minutae of that knowledge to advance their agenda' and we can then disregard these other posts, since for those of us who are not 'experts' it is exceedingly difficult to know who is spouting rubbish.when statement after statement is challenged by someone else 'claiming' to be expert.
It ain't that easy to tell. I'm by no means an armchair aviator: aeronautical engineer, F-4 and helicopter flight test engineer, pilot (ATP but not used as such), 3,000 total hours, part-time flight/instrument/aerobatic instructor, rated in airplanes/gliders/helicopters, flown in national glider contests, etc. I was absolutely certain that they had lost control into a spiral dive, figured it out, and were just too late on the recovery and pullout. Posted that three times, different ways. No way they were in a flat spin because they almost certainly could not have recovered and therefore would not have crashed into the water with no significant yaw rate ("en ligne de vol"). Didn't even consider that they could not only have stalled it but managed to keep it stalled for 35,000 feet without falling off on a wing into a spiral dive or a spin. Impossible. Gob smacked I was.

I once convened my production test pilots, all very experienced, to discuss a simple power margin procedure that customer pilots were using and getting different results from ours. They all wondered why I asked since it was so straightforward and well known. Then each of the six told me how they did it, none exactly the same, maybe eight ways in total since a couple of the guys had alternatives. And the dispersion of the results when I had them fly the same aircraft was unacceptably large. It took a while but we finally agreed on and documented a specific procedure that gave reasonably consistent results. So it's no surprise to me that pilots disagree amongst themselves. Also see the debate about what controls airspeed and flight path (n.b. I use stick and throttle together or one or the other as required.)

In that regard, one of the things that is apparent from the discussion is that the Airbus protections and fall backs are very, very complicated. Even the knowledgeable and/or formally trained appear to disagree (or at the least quibble) about how the software and computers work. That doesn't seem like a good thing...