PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 13:17
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MOQ I vote your last post as the best so far on this subject!

In essence you are reinforcing what I have been trying to say all along. Right up to THIS VERY PAGE people have STILL been arguing that for a location with an IAP and no TAF (as per the ORIGINAL QUESTION) you can STILL use LSALT +500 and 8km vis to get out of providing for an alternate. This should now be put to rest for good that this is NOT the case! FGD's conclusion on my scenarios in post #83 is INCORRECT:

Well done! 100%!

Every one of those scenarios does NOT require an alternate
Now for the no aid, no TAF scenario. If you want to argue for the barest minimum as ARFOR I can see where you are coming from. However, I would like to remind people of Jepp ATC pg 601 1.1 "...all IFR flights, must make a careful study of:
a. current weather reports and forecasts for the route to be flown AND THE AERODROMES TO BE USED"

And the first part of next section 1.2.1 "A forecast must be either a flight forecast or an area WITH AN AERODROME FORECAST FOR THE DESTINATION and, when required, the alternate aerodrome."

So one could still argue that you can proceed to farmer Boondoggles' paddock with the minimum ARFOR but no TAF = alternate required and what's more the alternate cannot be farmer Yokel's paddock next door as it says "with an aerodrome forecast ...and, when required, the alternate aerodrome."

Good night PPRUNE!

Last edited by Captain Nomad; 21st Jun 2011 at 13:52.