PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 11:21
MOQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I've made it clear enough in my last post (#22) with all the references you need on this issue. I will try again in plain language.

AIP ENR 1.10 Para 1.2.1 (Jepps ATC AU-600 Para 1.2.1) refers to Flight Planning requirement, i.e. what kind of operational information (such as weather forecast) is required to be obtained. It says;

AIP ENR 1.10 Para 1.2.1 / Jepps ATC AU-600 Para 1.2.1

A forecast must be either a flight forecast or an area forecast with an aerodrome forecast for the destination and, when required, the alternate aerodrome. For a flight to a destination for which a prescribed instrument approach procedure does not exist, the minimum requirement is an Area Forecast.
Emphasis in on whether the aerodrome has "Instrument Approach Procedure" or not. Do not confuse this with NAVAID requirement, which is a separate issue to WEATHER issue.

Basically, this is what this paragraph is saying;

- Aerodrome with IAP: Require ARFOR and TAF
- Aerodrome without IAP: Require ARFOR only (as minimum)

But as we all know, not all the aerodromes with IAP has TAF available (doesn't really matter whether it is permanently unavailable for temporarily unavailable.)

So, if that's the case, refer to AIP ENR 1.10 Para 1.2.3 (Jepps ATC AU-600 Para 1.2.3)

AIP ENR 1.10 Para 1.2.3 / Jepps ATC AU-600 Para 1.2.3

For flights to a destination for which a aerodrome forecast is required and cannot be obtained or is "provisional", the flight is permitted to depart, provided an alternate aerodrome meeting all the requirements specified in Alternate Aerodromes paragraph is provided.
In plain language;

For Aerodrome with IAP (i.e. TAF required)
- If no TAF (or PROV), an Alternate is required.

For Aerodrome without IAP (i.e. TAF not required)
- If no TAF (or PROV)...well, let's find out as the paragraph above only refers to Aerodromes with IAP. But we do know that TAF is NOT required.

AIP ENR 1.1 Para 58.2.12 (Jepps ATC AU-300 Para 3.2.12) talks about the Alternate minima for IFR flights.

AIP ENR 1.1 Para 58.2.12 (Jepps ATC AU-300 Para 3.2.12)

For IFR Flights, the alternate minima are as follows:
a) For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure, the alternate minima published on the chart.
b) For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure where an aerodrome forecast is unavailable or provisional, the PIC must make provision for a suitable alternate.
c) For aerodromes without an instrument approach procedure, the alternate minima is the lowest safe altitude for the final route segment plus 500ft and a visibility of 8km.

In summary;

For Aerodrome with IAP
- TAF is required
- If no TAF (or PROV), an Alternate is required.

For Aerodrome without IAP
- TAF not required
- If no TAF (or PROV), as long as the cloud base is 500ft above the LSALT and visibility is >8km, not Alternate is needed. Of course, it is expected that you make this decision based on ARFOR, as there may not be TAF for these aerodromes. Your descent will be in en route environment rather then local environment which what TAF is referring to anyway.

Some people are getting a bit exited about what is said in AIP ENR1.1 para 58.1.1, where it says "When an aerodrome forecast is not available or provisional, the PIC must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a firm forecast."

Well, AIP ENR 1.10 Para 1.2.3 (Jepps ATC AU-600 Para 1.2.3) says;

"For flights to a destination for which a aerodrome forecast is required and cannot be obtained or is "provisional", the flight is permitted to depart, provided an alternate aerodrome meeting all the requirements specified in Alternate Aerodromes paragraph is provided."

I say again. If the aerodrome has no IAP, you do not require TAF in the first place. This paragraph redirects you to ENR1.1 58.1.3, where it says, no TAF, alternate needed. So, I read it as 58.1.3 only applies to the situation where TAF is required (aerodromes with IAP)

If you take 58.1.3 as a blanket statement, it would mean that an VFR flight on a 100nm cross-country flight in clear day would need an Alternate too. Just because the is no TAF at the destination. It only refers to aerodrome with IAP, where you are required to have TAF.