PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 07:55
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no navaid but LSALT +500 and 8km vis so tick ...
This passage has no relevance to Jundee.
I absolutely disagree. It has every relevance if you DON'T have a TSO 146 GPS by day (I only brought up the TSO 146 for the night flight). When considering NAVAIDS one always has to provide for an alternate if there is no navaid EXCEPT for the caveat expressly allowing LSALT +500 and 8km vis by DAY as listed in Jepp ATC pg 304 3.3.2. IT MAKES NO MENTION THAT THIS CAVEAT CAN BE USED AT NIGHT WHEN CONSIDERING NAVAIDS! (ie. if you had a TSO129 GPS for the night flight you would still need an alternate on TWO counts - weather and navaids even though the ARFOR is LSALT +500 and 8km vis and you could do the RNAV approach to get in).

Over in the weather section it makes no distinction between day or night. The common error with ALL the scenarios is that we are back to square one and are in contravention of the requirement to provide an alternate for an aerodrome with IAP and TAF unavailable as per TWO Jepp references (ATC pg 303 3.1.3 and pg 304 3.2.12 b.) which you seem to be able to conveniently ignore despite the plain language! I am not convinced a judge would overlook both of those statements as easily!

I am still waiting for the reference to an 'OUT' clause which will legally get you out of these requirements...!

Xcel, we have done this to death dude - the end result is YOU STILL NEED AN AERODROME FORECAST:

1.2.2 For flights for which a forecast is required and cannot be obtained, the flight is permitted to depart provided the pilot is satisfied that the weather at the departure point will permit the safe return of the flight within one hour of departure. The flight is permitted to con-tinue provided a suitable forecast is obtained for the intended des-tination within 30 minutes after departure.

Captain nomad - you can go well more than 50 nm

Last edited by Captain Nomad; 22nd Jun 2011 at 01:56.