PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 06:47
BoatsNHos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok because this thread has been so cut and dry so far, I have another Red Herring question……

Is a destination aerodrome that has no physical radio navaids (i.e. no NDB/VOR), but has an RNAV procedure, considered to be “served by a Radio Navigation Aid”?

If not, then you could just ignore the fact someone has gone to all the effort of drawing up an RNAV procedure (rip it out of your DAP folder) and apply the requirements of AIP ENR 1.1 para 58.3.2, which states:

58.3.2. Notwithstanding the above, a flight may be planned under the IFR by day to a destination aerodrome which is not served by a radio navigation aid without the requirement to provide for a suitable alternate aerodrome, provided that:

a. not more than SCT cloud is forecast below the final route segment LSALT (which you can only work out from an ARFOR, not a TAF) plus 500FT and forecast visibility at the destination aerodrome is not less than 8KM; and

b. the aircraft can be navigated to the destination aerodrome in accordance with para 19.1 (flight under the IFR).

The following paragraph also talks about NVFR alternates and specifically mentions NDB/VOR :

58.3.3. …must provide alternate within 1 hour of destination unless destination is served by a radio navigation aid (NDB/VOR) and the aircraft….blah blah”

Also, AIP Gen 2.5 refers to Radio Navigation Aids as those indentified in the ERSA FAC section for each location.

"For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure where an aerodrome forecast is unavailable or is 'provisional,' the pilot in command must make provision for a suitable alternate."
It makes sense to me if I read the above statement in the context of an instrument approach procedure which requires a physical radio navaid at the destination aerodrome, and as such that aerodrome would normally have a TAF (although it may sometimes be unavailable or ‘provisional’).

The key word is “When” which implies it is normally available, but “when it isn’t”, then…. do this. That interpretation is also supported by the fact it is discussed in the same breath as a provisional forecast.

If it was talking about aerodromes that never have a TAF, surely it would include something explicit like “for aerodromes where a forecast service is not provided....”.

That leads me to interpret the statement as meaning “if the Aerodrome forecast normally exists, but is temporarily unavailable, or is provisional...."

I may be wrong… happens from time time… but that’s how I read it.

Before i read this thread, I thought I knew the rules.

All I know now is that im ****in confused
me too... my head hurts.