PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 05:14
CliveL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for that much better picture Bellerephon.

I have a bit more information now, although my French is very rusty so I may not have it all correct - CJ can probably correct me if necessary.

They did 8 flights over 10 hrs, preceded by about 30 simulator 'flights'. Most of the flight testing was looking at low speed behaviour, since that was where they expected to see most gains on Concorde, and where the most problems might be expected, but they did go up to 2.04M. The primary advantage was seen to be the possibility of using very aft CGs for takeoff to reduce trim drag - they flight tested as far back as 56% at around 0.4M (no consideration of limits from U/C location of course for this sort of testing). In addition they were predicting a weight saving of around half a tonne.

The simulator work sorted out the basic laws, where they tested a pure pitch rate feedback and a C* law with load factor and pitch rate terms. The pilots preferred the latter (which became in time the basis for the A320 laws).
The simulator was also used to establish the best ergonomics (movement and force harmonisation) of the sidestick.

The 'blue' electrical signalling system for elevons was replaced by the digital control and sidestick arrangement, keeping the 'green' signalling as a safety backup. Normal rudder control system was retained, as well as the mechanical backup.

In the general arrangement of the digital control system one can see clearly the genesis of the A320 design - two computers with the software written by separate teams etc.

Pilot reaction seems to have been very favourable, the aircraft being somewhat easier to fly than the basic Concorde (which was already pretty good ....).
In particular the paper suggests that the precision with which the aircraft could be positioned was much improved.
Stick force per 'g' was pretty much the same throughout the speed range at about 7daN/g, whereas on Concorde it varies from 20 to 40 daN/g - but on a sidestick rather than a control column of course.

One problem that did show up, although not peculiar to Concorde, was the sensitivity of these systems to structural response, particularly during ground roll.

Not contained in the report, but in a side letter from Dudley, is a remark that the guy most responsible for the development of the Concorde basic system and later in charge of the Airbus system thought that these Concorde experiments were the key to the success of the A320.

'Nuff said!

CliveL