PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 5
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2011, 00:59
uklad007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do find people who post comments on wishing the airport would close, becoming mystic meg and predicting its demise or trying to actively discourage people to stop using the place as odd. What harm does the airport do to anyone if it flies 1mn passengers per year or 100K passengers per year. That airport to some people is a place of employment - if someone in your family relied on the income it brings in I think you would feel very different.

I dont like marmite - do i wish it to stop being produced, no because people work on that production line - do i take offence that its sold in supermarkets - no because why should i care i just dont buy it.. so if you dont like it just dont use it..

The airport/airfield has been around for years now - so why should people take offence by its presence or wish its closure now just because in the current market its handling few flights and passengers. Also i cant see what difference it makes if its passengers, freight, private flights or airline scrappage going on - in an area where there are few jobs and declining inward investment - any business in the area is good.

Alternatives everyone talks about is a big housing estate - then everyone will complain that the new big huge housing development is driving down their house price due to overcapacity in the market..

Seriously people should not let the state of the airport get to them - maybe take a holiday instead - flights to Spain, Turkey, Bulgaria or Jersey on your doorstep - or you can drive x Miles north, south or west and fly from somewhere else if flying from there offends too much or your destination isnt available.