PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 22:11
maxrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points made by Chuks and Capetonian me thinks.

DRPM007

1.Poor economic regulation

I believe there are serious instances of poor economic regulation of airlines by the various CAA's in Africa. This scenario becomes obvious when the airlines Begin to owe staff salaries and unable to service their daily operational cost items such as fuel, overnight subsidence expenses for crew, landing, parking and navigation fees.
What you are actually trying to say is that these airlines and CAA's are run badly with shockingly poor bussiness sense and appalling bussiness ethics.

Further to my previous post where I mentioned that there was no political will to fix this.

2.Lack of adequate labour laws or enforcement
Most African countries dont even enforce criminal laws so the concept of even having labour laws would be a far fetched ideal at most.

Absence of any social welfare system.
I'm not sure why you imagine that a welfare system would enhance aviation safety in Africa.

The USSR was the ultimate welfare state in its day and they had an appalling avaition safety record and culture. Me thinks because in a welfare state you get to keep your job no matter how useless you are at it.

Just my 2c worth...