PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 22:04
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MurphyWasRight;

Well said.

It is time to stop trying to apportion blame to aircraft systems, and time to take a long hard look at the automation ~ human interface. It has often been said in these threads that the automation is 99.9^n% right, and now is the time to look at the human interface and the the well known fact that the same degree of reliability is and can not be expected of mere mortals.

We have spent endless pages arguing over which pilot was seated where, and which of the two F/O's was PF. There is no need to go there in the meantime, but the outcome may help in determining who was where.

I know this Aviation Weekly & Space Technology link has been posted by PJ2 previously, but it drew no response. I suggest that it is read and digested, compared with the China Airlines incident that MurphyWasRight has mentioned, and let the discussion start on training and how to keep the pilot in the automation loop.

I suspect that the crux of this accident is not hardware or software, but a human condition, i.e. industry, management, training and CRM, that needs to be addressed.