PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol Testing of Flight Crew
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 21:22
linmar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pa28Viking
Really? I think in most other countries you are considered to be 'flying' from when you report for work and start planning the flight. Long before you take your seat on the flight deck.
Yes, the Swedish law is pretty clear on that point. You're not flying under the influence nor driving under the influence unless you really are doing just that. The exact phrasing is; "A person who manouvers an aircraft..."

This is only applicaple for criminal law where you can be sentenced to fines or prison.

For holders of a license issued by the Swedish CAA it is of course another case . It is a lot easier for the CAA to suspend a holders license if the holder has been irresponsible using alcohol, not only in connection with duty but anytime. I am not aware of any such case regarding a flight crew license, but I would suspect the criteria would be more or less the same as for a drivers license, maybe even harder. Usually, in Sweden, if you are arrested for drunkeness in public 2-3 times in a short period of time (1-2 years) your drivers license will be suspended and you will be subject to rehabilitation actions in order to regain your license.

But, the Swedish CAA can of course only take action on holders of licenses issued by the same and therefore the new law makes it easier for the justice system to prevent 'drinking and flying' and also to apprehend offenders.