PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viatriskel
Thread: Viatriskel
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 20:47
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by planenut321
Sorry bad choice of words....The aircraft is just a minibus. It will take X number of people to these different events from different airports. It won't be any 30 people, the public won't book onto these flights. It was be an organised group travelling for an event. They could use a coach if they really wanted to, but because its international an aircraft seems the obvious choice.
OK, fair enough, that would make some sense to me - you're saying that the impetus for the travel is some sort of event rather than individuals pitching up to book tickets just because they want to travel to Chateauroux or Waterford for their holidays or for business. And indeed part of the website does talk about this event-based travel.

But elsewhere on the website I read:
When you find yourself with an unexpected day off, grab your coat and passport and head for the airport. If we've got empty seats, take a standby ticket at a knock down price and have an adventure.
or here:
Our fully flexible, fixed-price tickets are particularly suited to small and start-up businesses facing economic challenges. We understand that that all-important contract might require a signature at the last-minute. Well, we have a perishable product - so our unsold seats are priced to clear rather than profit from your desperation.
...which seems to be very definitely marketing an air journey to individual consumers, i.e. what an airline does.

There does appear to be some sort of interesting "big concept" behind all this - I just don't see how it can be made to work in the context of running an airline.

Every seat on every flight on a particular route is sold at the same price regardless of the time of year or the time of purchase ... with one exception:[standby fares, £/€20 per person]
All our schedules will be operated as year-round, non-seasonal routes
This idea that the schedules and fares will be the same all year round and won't vary seasonally, seems to me like the owner of an ice-cream van saying "I'm going to make 100 cones every day, no more, no less, whether it's a wet Tuesday in November or a sunny summer bank holiday weekend." To put it diplomatically, that doesn't seem to be a strategy which maximises the chances of commercial success.