PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best aircraft to learn in?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 20:19
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing my PPL and I've learned mostly in 172's. I've flown the 28 a few times and it's definitely more sluggish (172 and 28 both 160hp) but also seems less 'twitchy'. Can't say I've noticed a difference in crosswind landings but then I'm no expert. I would imagine the 28 would float a bit more because the wing is closer to the ground, but that's just a guess on my part.

The 28 is definitely easier to fly because it's docile (or rather dociler than a 172........) but then I wouldn't want to fly one out of a smallish grass field. It stops OK though. You have the visibility issue, 172 is poor in a turn but then you can see straight down, 28 has good vis but you see wing when you look down. 172 has two doors, 28 has one etc.

Looking at the figures there's nothing in the glide, my POH says 10 miles from 6,000 ft at 75 kts for both of them. Don't forget they don't run on rails, book figures are by test pilots with new a/c.

I flew the 152 to do my incipient spin part of the syllabus and I must admit it felt like a toy compared to the other two. Nothing wrong with it though, flies perfectly well and if I was flying into/out of a small strip I would take it 'cos it stops on a tanner.

Try them both.

Last edited by thing; 20th Jun 2011 at 20:33.