PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 14:35
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FGD, I have not fallen into any trap other than making a poor choice for one of my original examples. If you re-read my original post you will notice I have changed the example to Cessnock. In my attempts to clarify one situation (aerodrome with IAP versus one without) I may have created some confusion in another area (IFR destination NO IAP and NO TAF). I do apologise.

I have ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION for you and if you can answer it with a reference from the regs I would be most obliged. Keeping strictly to the scenario in the original question, how would you talk yourself out of this requirement? (Jepp ATC pg 304 3.2.12 b.) - "For aerodromes with an instrument approach procedure where an aerodrome forecast is unavailable... must make provision for a suitable alternate..."

The reason why I state:

Ironically, if it is a place with no IAP the alternate minima then becomes possibly less restrictive ...
is because that WOULD be the case if you were planning IFR by day say from Dubbo to Cessnock (no IAP) on a CAVOK ARFOR and CAVOK TAF for Cessnock (for example). YOU WOULD NOT NEED AN ALTERNATE! However if that was an IFR by day flight from Port Hedland to Coondewanna I would beg to differ and say that AN ALTERNATE WOULD BE REQUIRED (because Coondewanna has an IAP).

The reason why I have always specified IFR is because that is what the whole original question is about and also I was avoiding some smart alec coming along quoting the VFR by day within 50nm and also THIS! "For flight under the VFR (day or night) and helicopters operating under VFR at night, the alternate minima are a ceiling of 1500ft and a visibility of 8km. (Jepp ATC pg 304 3.2.13).

I can't believe this has gone on so long. I hope this is the end of it. I don't know how much more clearly I can put it...

Last edited by Captain Nomad; 20th Jun 2011 at 15:03. Reason: Too late at night...