PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech Queenair
Thread: Beech Queenair
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 13:53

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Eastland Air
Definitely Unionair. Unionair had the Army contract and operated RUU and FWG. It was owned and run by Snow.

RC10s were used in both RUU and FWG for photography, but mainly photos of trig point and geoceiver points. These photos were taken from 7000 ft to allow the identification on the mapping photos taken by the RAAF Canberras. The trig points were identified by a white plastic cross. This plastic also made excellent roofing material for the locals.

Limited aerial mapping photo was done in both RUU and FWG. I can recall photography of the islands in the Shoalwater Bay training area (25000 feet), the School of Military training area near Albury and also around Bendigo. The last two were flown at lower levels.

RUU had a RC10 installed as part of the WRELADS package.

The primary function initially for RUU and FWG was WRELADS in RUU and the Areodist in FWG. This changed for FWG when the Army started using the Geoceiver and the Aerodist was retired. It was easier and more accurate to locate trig points using the Geoceiver.

The fiberglass "boat" that covered the Aerodist radar dish on FWG sat on the ground next to a small building at the back of the canteen at AF for years.

I was not that involved with FWG so my memory may be hazy. My involvement with FWG was pilot training and the odd charter when it was not being used by the Army.