PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR renewal while on job seekers,help!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 10:07
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, you posted on Wednesday about your rating expiring on Saturday! By that stage you'd already screwed it, it can take weeks to get a slot to renew, just as I can't phone up my aviation doctor and ask for a medical renewal within three days (unless I'm very lucky). Asking your questions two months ago may have yielded results - three days before the deadline virtually no chance.

Secondly you're not the first to be in your position. I was there a couple of years ago. I decided after a couple of weeks that sitting around on the dole waiting for the big break whilst receiving £55 per week or thereabouts is no way to exist. Apart from the fact that you can't afford to eat and put fuel in the car on jobseeker's allowance, the existance is pretty soul destroying and directionless.

Get a job, not necessarily an aviation job but ANY job that you can do. Lay bricks, sweep the streets, empty bins, flip burgers, pull pints: whatever you can find. It will put some structure and purpose back in your life. You'll feel better about yourself, have some self respect, you'll being doing yourself a favour and, in fact, taxpaying society a favour. Most importantly, you will have more income than you do now: not a lot, but enough to stay afloat and maintain your qualifications. It will also look a lot better on a CV than a significant gap and you might even learn a new skill - you never know when that might come in handy.

Good luck,

(RAF Flt Lt pilot; Starbucks barista; airline pilot).