PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash in Andorra Kills 4, Injures 1
Old 20th Jun 2011, 09:05
BigFrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andorra/ France/ SPAIN ¿ who takes responsibility ?

Glad someone else is watching. I think I hinted at some of these issues previously.

Though I have previously quoted from Periodic de Andorra, the rival link to Diari d´ Andorra posted earlier on (above the photo) by someone else seems to be giving much better coverage of the aftermath of this accident.

It´s in Catalan (obviously; the language of Andorra) but you can get the gist I believe.

As I have no intention of getting in a helicopter anywhere ever, still less one outside the EU, the issues might not appear to affect me directly.

But as someone who flies into and out of Catalonia fairly regularly the standard of inspection/ control over safety issues offered by Spanish regulators and their EU big brothers is a concern. A major concern.

To mention only one issue, the game of alphabet-soup i.e. sub-contracting planes from a different operator with an AOC, which might or might not share some element of ownership, and where people rely on the second (or third ! or fourth !!) such entity to "follow the rules" seems worryingly common-place in Spain and has apparently been functioning in this case too.

¿ With consequences which are more than somewhat negative ?

Last edited by BigFrank; 20th Jun 2011 at 09:06. Reason: Correct typo