PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2011, 02:33
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Max, I haven't forgotten the angle you raised. I'll make time and address as agreed. Meanwhile, I'll just like to throw in a few more factors into the aviation safety equation viz:

1.Poor economic regulation

I believe there are serious instances of poor economic regulation of airlines by the various CAA's in Africa. This scenario becomes obvious when the airlines Begin to owe staff salaries and unable to service their daily operational cost items such as fuel, overnight subsidence expenses for crew, landing, parking and navigation fees.

This results in atmosphere of insecurity and uncertainty. Leading to undue stress and commercial pressure the technical crew that can translate into degraded levels of safety.

2.Lack of adequate labour laws or enforcement

There are instances where local labour laws do not provide safety nets to prevent unethical and unfair practices against employees of safety critical private organizations like airlines;loss of license insurance, medical cover, pension, advocacy groups, union representation, unbiased conflict resolution processes e.t.c. Some cases where these laws exist, the employers flout them with impunity. A scenario where there is no enployee engagement and group synergy provides the perfect environment for the emergence of latent pathogens.

3. Absence of any social welfare system.