PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard airfields for new PPL?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 21:03
I Love Flying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popham - reporting back

Well, I bit the bullet and tried out Popham for myself today. Downloaded the notes from the websites, checked out Google maps to familiarise myself with the layout and noted that the wind was set to be pretty much down the runway. 'Pilot' mag in my flight bag (with the free landing voucher) and all systems go!

I joined overhead from the South, and relaxed after hearing the 'contact one ahead' (let's not start that debate again!) call from the chap I could see starting a standard overhead join from the North. That at least left me free to concentrate on my own circuit.

Found the helpful white arrow on the ground without any problems and found the offset approach completely do-able as a newish pilot with still quite a bit less than 100 hours P1. Thanks by the way to whoever it was (Ghengis?) that suggested a suitable aiming point as being abeam the windsock to the south. That certainly helped prevent me from trying to touch down too soon after the turn to line up with the runway.

A lovely airfield, friendly atmosphere, good food and a free landing (on this occasion) - I'll definitely be returning. Oh, and the icing on the cake? A brief glimpse of the Red Arrows as they made their way south east.

To the OP, give it a go. It's pretty easy to find, and as long as you've done your preparation, you will be fine.