PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carrier Aviation = Cheapest
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 20:46
Jimlad1

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
"Well from memory (correct me if I'm wrong - I'm sure you will) AIM-9L for the Falklands"

If memory serves correctly, the UK already had AIM9-L in service in 82, however our stocks were attributed to the central front, so we instead got access to US stocks. The weapon was in service.

"I seem to remember the AEW Sea King didn't arise from a staff target, but was an unsolicted offer."

IIRC the Sea King had previously been looked at, and ISTR there was an aspirational target raised at some point, although it may have been shelved to funding.

"Then theres a whole host of minor Falklands items which had to be purchased in a rush - often from regimental funds. High leg boots for one (trench foot problems). Bergens that were big enough (remember the film of the paras having to use BLUE bergens because ti was all they could get in a hurry!)"

So soldiers do what soldiers do best which is to buy kit to suit their needs? Falklands was a classic example of people adapting in an emergency to do something no one ever expected to do. Strangely enough the lessons were learnt and new kit was bought into service.

"Of course I could go on to mention the numerous staff targets which have resulted in contracts which have turned into absolute disasters, but I'm sure you have them all off by rote"

Well perhaps you'd like to name some, as so far you've managed to cite the whole evidence of a unit using blue bergans in a hurry. Not a hugely impressive track record so far.

"Please don't try to tell me the MOD has a clue what its doing when it comes to staff requirements and contracts "

I disagree - things have gone wrong, and no one doubts that. The important thnig to do is to work out WHY things seem to have gone wrong, and then one can look into a litany of confused aspirations, poorly defined requirements, changes in funding profiles, issues with new priorities etc.
However, the MOD has also done a damn good job at responding quickly - take a look at the forces in HERRICK - we've listened to troop requests, UOR kit to meet the massively changing operational environment is constantly coming into service - take a look at footage of troops today vs 2006 and its a totally different army out there. When I deployed on HERRICK I was using kit that no one had even thought of 18 months previously (and I know how fast it can go as I'd previously done the job where I had to help sign off on UOR acquisitions and found myself using kit that I'd helped approve not that long before).

Yes things go wrong, but a hell of a lot goes right as well.

I'd also echo other posters - what is your military experience (if any) as right now you come across as either a cadet, a wannabe or a very old and retired individual who doesnt know how todays forces work.