PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statement "Aviation courses are not equivalent to higher education" Agree/Disagree?
Old 5th Oct 2002, 16:15
Dr.Evil 2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally disagree with your Council's statement.

I myself have not studied for a degree so it will be interesting to see what the graduates have to say but my opinion is as follows.......

The theoretical studies for your ATPL are demanding, intense and by no means a walk in the park. No holidays, no half terms, no 50% pass mark. 14 subjects to learn and understand in 6 months, now thats no mean feat and with a pass mark of 75% I for one believe the ATPL should be considered as Degree equivalent on the Theoretical side alone!!!!!

Friends of mine have degree's, and I remember them going to lectures once a week, studying (my opinion) worthless subjects, coming away with a 2:2 having spent 3-4 years pissing it up and having a great time. Now im not saying all degrees are worthless but some sure as hell are and I think its about time the Government/Education board recognised how much time, effort, dedication and hard work we put in to gaining an fATPL.

Anyway, time for me to get off my high horse!

Good luck with your fight with the council, im in your corner all the way!!!!

Dr. E