PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OzRunways 2.whoa!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 12:00
Shagpile

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
they are Lambert projections
We get the WAC charts from Airservices in WGS84. Warp them into Mercator, stitch them together then tile them. Takes about 8hrs for my Macbook to process them all.

Have you guys seen flight guide??
Only pics online - Note that the USA has open access to all their aeronautical data, which is also has geo-referenced approach plates. We will have to do all this manually.

What this means is that you see a lot more different, innovative apps coming out of USA as there isn't the massive startup risk involving $10k+ just to buy the data.

I doubt Jepp will give anybody their charts (correct me if I'm wrong?) as they have their own app they are pushing. They aren't sharing the DO-160E testing (rapid decompression to FL510) either, instead keeping it as a company asset they can share to customers to help them work with the FAA to get approval to use Jepp/iPad.

We've donated to paperlesscockpit.com who are about to conduct a "community sponsored" decompression testing. We'll have the results in a month or two hopefully. I'd encourage anybody else who is interested in the results to donate too (so you get a free copy of the testing report).