PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Funerals in an Earlier Era
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 10:06
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Sadly the bush jacket is obsolete (declared so 2-3 years ago) although I manage a few outings in mine from time to time - as it impresses the natives, what! Worn properly , ie with longs, it looks v smart, especially if over-exuberant chest hair is trimmed.....

KDs days are numbered, partly because it is no longer demonstrably 'air force' and the shorts look faintly ridiculous this day and age, and are forever tainted with the image of overweight movers doing the redundant and annoying 'Sirs, Ma'ams, Ladies and Gentlemen' announcements at Akrotiri.

When I did foreign staff college, I did wear shorts from time to time and an Italian colleague, either shocked or impressed, called them 'corto perverso'. Hmmm. In my location, we are moving into blues later this year 'over the winter months' though probably for good.

When I got my tropical Service Dress a few years ago, I had the silly eppaulette straps replaced with stiff boards more akin to posh Navy ones. Was this ever an approved mod, or simply a Hong Kong popular alteration?

PN - the army wears green, therefore instantly identifiable, but loyalty is to the Regt, hence hackles, stable bets, bra straps etc