PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carrier Aviation = Cheapest
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 09:44
Occasional Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not going to go any further into figures for security reasons, but I'll say this:

I don't know where the Telegraph gets its figures from, but I'm getting mine from the ATO stats and combat assessment at the CAOC. You choose who to trust.

Also note that lots of people (and nations) have an interest in spinning stats and picking those numbers that make themselves look good - it isn't a straight comparison when you yourself are quoting sorties flown, attacks and targets hit. You could also measure weapons delivered, successful attacks, targets destroyed, hours flown etc, all of which would give you a subtly different picture. I'm just giving a perspective from my (very well informed) position of what does what on the ATO.

CDG has not flown every day. Sometimes because it was broken, and regularly to rest the crew or carry out maintenance. Six aircraft by two sorties a night out of 200+ (using the figures in DefenseNews) are not 'quite an impression', they're single-figure percentages. I'll give you the point about port visits, must have been thinking of OCEA or Garibaldi.