PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The eager beaver pilot
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 09:13
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S76Heavy:
I realise that I probably sound like an old fart. I was once a young and eager F/O, having to deal with a wide range of characters in the command seat. I learned from each of them, if only that I would do it differently when my time came. But I never felt like going against their decisions, unless they were unsafe. I did always ask for an explanation later, for the purposes of learning.
That is exactly how I viewed my job as an FO. I don't find this to sound like an old fart's opinion. I believe my role as an FO was kind of lake a safety advisor. To carry along with the CPT's decision and to intervene once it became unsafe.
Just as Youg Paul, I have to conduct a flawless flight yet. Years ago someone published an essay in our companies flight safety publication with the essence that he would always wonder what mistake he would make next. To expect not to make a mistake is essentially dangerous and to have your mind set for being corrected by your colleague for the next one you make. It was a brilliant piece of writing.

I don't believe it is a matter of experience (or lack thereof) wether somebody is an "eager beaver" FO, but moreso that it is personality or education. With the older FOs it is also how bad they think they should be in your seat and would know better than you. This can result in either the "eager beaver" syndrome or a frustrated lack of input and being drawn back (sorry, I lack the words on how to describe this in english).