PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ils clearance
Thread: ils clearance
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 07:08
sabenaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resequencing.

Hello fireflybob,
they didn't have to "intercept the G/s from above" they elected to do so having found the a/c in that situation - an atc clearance doesn't, I am sure you will agree, absolve the flight crew from managing the approach safely. They could have said "unable ILS due height, request resequence us please"
I think that you should realise all pilots will try to avoid a go around or "request to be resequenced" as long as they think they can handle the situation at hand without too much problem. How long would it take to be "resequenced" in AMS or LHR on a busy day? I don't really know, but I guess it could be anything between 5 and 30 minutes? I hope you understand that pilots will try to avoid that at all cost! If had gone around every time I got vectored for a G/S intercept from above (or late clearance to follow the G/S), I would be averaging 5 go-arounds/year (or "resequencings") iso my current estimated 0,5 go-arounds/year. In the Turkish crash they coped reasonable well with the G/S intercept from above, but it was still one of the small "Swiss cheese holes" lining up, as was the RA failure. The biggest (I'd say gigantic) hole was of course pilot error due to a lack of monitoring the airspeed!