PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - parts for PA38
Thread: parts for PA38
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 03:53
Pilot DAR

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
This comment relates to a Seneca I, and not a Tomahawk, though I wonder if the same theme is working it's way through the Piper "legacy" fleet.

I was asked to assist in the approval of a replacement primary structure part for a Seneca I, as the original parts were unairworthy due to corrosion. I contacted Piper Tech Support to enquire about replacement parts. They said the parts were no longer available. I explained that the lack of the partablys prob resulted in permanently grounding the aircraft. The reply from the Piper person was: "Sir, that is a 40 year old aircraft, and Piper no longer wants to support it with spare parts.". We did make and approve replacement parts as required, but it was a very big job.

More recently I had a similar experience with a hail damaged PA-28-161, which I had to specifically approve to continue flying following repair, because Piper would not support the aircraft any more.

I worry that Piper does not care to devote any effort to supporting the older Piper aircraft - but that is just my opinion. I like the Tomahawk, but now I'm glad I do not own one.....