PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard airfields for new PPL?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2011, 00:14
betterfromabove

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I read this original post question correctly, it is along the lines of:

"What airfields in the SE are to be wary of as a fresh PPL and might require an instructor or more experienced PPL on board"??

There's been some rather nice and interesting dialogue in between, but I think this is a wise question to pose.

There is one airfield that I've flown out of a great deal and that instantly comes to mind: Clacton.

The footpath has been mentioned (largely blind from the 36 line-up point), but this is more a nuisance than anything. It does have a bump on it though that can lead to getting airborne early, which could be an issue if too slow.

More important however I would say are:
- The strip itself is particularly short for usual GA types (600m)
- Has houses on short final to 18, and which necessitate an immediate left turn after take-off from 36
- The surface is frequently water-logged and sticky in winter, especially at 36 end, which means rolling take-offs from departure point and careful thought about run-ups
- Has several obstacles on the 36 approach or 18 climb-out (lamp-posts and high-sided traffic) and clear thoughts about where you would go in an EFATO (golf course, beach, water?)
- On departure from 18 there is the risk of disorientation due to sea-haze on climb-out in many conditions
- It has an almost continuous cross-wind of 10kt+ during middle of day

The major thing that really catches people out though is the very common wind-shear coming out of the cruise into the circuit. This leads to all sorts of issues getting base right and then on to finals on to what is a short and tricky strip. It has caught out many, even experienced, PPL's. This is compounded by the lack of an overhead join, so some smart judgement needs to be made on downwind.

It is harder than many a farm strip and given a choice I would much prefer to land on the private strip just to the north or pretty much any of the surrounding fields than the airfield itself.

I've personally seen one PA28 nosewheel collapse there after a second approach on to 36 and two near wipe-outs into traffic on the road at 36 end (one a Jodel, one a Christen Eagle) after very late go-arounds on hot, sticky days off 18.

Some people will think I'm exaggerating or trying to scare people off this place, but frankly it's somewhere that requires some respect and experience to go into and the accident record highlights this.

Compton can be challenging, especially in a mod-strong southerlies/SE'lies (and probably best avoided on such days...), but most of the public airfields in SE England I think it's fair to say are relatively benign and are challenging more for their busy-ness (e.g. Shoreham on a Sat lunchtime), proximity to CTA (e.g. Denham, Stapleford, Waltham) or their landing fees (e.g. Norwich, Southampton) more than anything!!

Each has their little procedures and foibles and potential gotchas, but these can be mitigated by properly talking to whoever's giving you PPR on the day or reading the VFR plate carefully.

This may not totally carry if flying a vintage or difficult type however, e.g. Tiger, where slopes which mean nothing to a spamcan can suddenly become potential traps, so asking around to someone experienced on type about a place is again worthwhile.

Now, Scotland, that's another matter....phew, there's some places to really put hairs on your back!!

Last edited by betterfromabove; 19th Jun 2011 at 00:29.