PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full Flight Simulators and realism of cues
Old 18th Jun 2011, 22:48
+TSRA

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on the level of the simulator and the operators training program, the only additional "in aircraft" training you may get is a couple of extra circuits in the aircraft following your initial training if the simulator is not certified for "Zero Flight Time" training.

So I guess to answer your question, none.

I mean, at our company on a longer leg if we are really bored and it is coming up to sim for one of us, we may pull out the QRH (Quick Reference Handbook) and go through a couple scenarios - but we are a small company where all the pilots drink together and Im not sure this would work at say, British Airways. Additionally, I will occasionally pull out the QRH/SOP/AFM or FMS Manual, etc and have a read through just to brush up, but no we would never be putting along and bring the aircraft to the point of a stall, or pull one of the engines to Flight Idle or pull a circuit breaker just to see what would happen (although, I will admit to testing the fire bell to wake up a guy I was flying with when his snoring was so bad the Flight Attendant could hear it from her jumpseat)

At the end of the day the simulators do everything we need them to do such that the very minor differences between simulator and aircraft are not important when facing the real thing on the line.