PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 21:39
ThePaperBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reference is in post number 3 - people just have different interpretations of those paragraphs.

I'm with the guys that read it as: no TAF available due to no instrument approach at the field, use the ARFOR and the line about LSALT + 500 (not an automatic alternate required).

A number of those in the know (CASA FOIs, CPs, ATOs etc) also support the view about the "TAF not being available or PROV" refers to the TAF normally being available for use. From memory Bob Tait also went down this path with his IREX book (not that Bob sets the rules but it is a good indication of the answer the test will be looking for if this is your main concern).

Add a pinch of common sense to your fuel calculations and you'll never get caught short. However, on a CAVOK or FEW day I'm not carrying fuel for an alternate many miles away because my aerodrome has no TAF/IAL. In the real world this will badly affect your payload considerations. Can't always just fill the tanks like during your CPL training.

I called a mate who informed me that the RNAV rules changed a while ago and can now under certain circumstances be counted as a radio aid when assessing the requirement for an alternate.
Only TSO146.