PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 17:43
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RetiredF4
The drag of the forward part of the fuselage and of the forward parts of the wings woking ANU night well be greater than the AND force by the fuselage aft of the wings and the THS.
Fully agreed. That is the real unknown when it comes to the net effect at 60°.
It might indeed be the case that the forward fuselage creates equal or higher lift than the tail, although at least for the A330-200 with the relatively short forward fuselage I doubt it.
edit:
Where I do not fully agree is the hypothesis taht the main wing will create a net NU moment. In non stalled condition the Center of lift is close to the quarter chord line. At fully stalled condition the Center of lift will move to the mid chord line. (It is only in a transient phase when the tips start to stall and the root is not yet stalled where you might encounter a NU effect. But at 50°+ AoA that is defintiely not the case any more)
/edit

This assumption is to some extent supported by the cm curve in the link as it suggests a net reduciton of cm with increasing AoA, i.e. a ND tendency.

If this was the case with AF447 we will probably never know as it appears that the Pilots unfortunately never really tried it.