PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DH Vampire
Thread: DH Vampire
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 16:52
ONE GREEN AND HOPING

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ???

Could perhaps, one of you friends of the Vampire remind me/us what the twin ariels on both wing tips served as? I seem to remember that they were rx ariels for some kind of navigation aid. Was it perhaps a sort of short range distance measuring device?

I trundled around in Vampires for a few months in 1964......my logbook shows entries for WZ507 as well ( see photo by Old Photo.Fanatic page 1 )
The first thing I noticed when spotting this aircraft at North Weald a couple of years ago, was that the ariels had disappeared. It's possible that this afore-mentioned Navaid had been removed by 1964, since I have no recollection of ever using it.

One thing I do recall, as mentioned already on this thread.......and that is the seat, and my own reaction to briefings on use and effect of the noisy part. I used to strap myself in so snug, that by the end of the sortie I was somewhat numb from the waist down. There was a test rig opportunity as well, but I don't recall anybody I knew personally volunteering to try it.

.....Happy days.