PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enough is enough
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 13:39
Craggenmore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From one of your posts Bloggs that you've made in the few months you've been a member on these forums......
That does not preclude me from offering advice to the chap who has been experiencing difficulties.
When I finished flight training I had so little time and money I needed to do something about it. I desperatley wanted that precious first job flying but had no more money to carry on flying.

I got a job as a baggage handler at LHR whilst sending out CV's. Months later having got nowhere, I now had, at the very least, some money behind me. This gave me choices. I could either fly VFR during spare time to keep my hand in (more pointless than not I thought) or I could put the cash into something within the industry. So I enrolled in a Flight Instructor rating.

After passing the FI course I quit the baggage job having gained employment teaching PPL at a small school near London. For me, this was a turning point. It does the soul wonders to be paid to fly, to see hours going in the logbook each day and not at your expense for a change!

After several hundred hours now in the logbook and a known name around the flying club bar I had an offer to join the local air taxi outfit on the same day a cadet training provider wanted me to start a three week MCC/JOT which if successful meant a RHS at easyJet.

Passing the training providers selection was made far easier as (1) my scan and hand flying was in good shape and (2) I had many answers to their flying related questions at interview. "Tell us something that no one else here at this selection has already told us today? Well sir, I can load a Jumbo right down to a Fokker 50 in double quick time Sir".

As funy as it seems that answer helped seal it and all in that interview room knew it. I was the only one in the group who had put themselves through that kind of job to stay within the industry after initial flight training. Lucky perhaps but the more I loaded that baggage at 4am in the cold and rain, the luckier I became.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Would I be where I am now without the above - Who knows but doors opened because of what I did and that's the point. Sending out CV's from a bedroom would have achieved far less.

Looking back, I made some good friends and met some interesting people and I'm glad I mastered how to fly and talk at the same time whilst instructing.

So where from I sit, like I said, it never did me any harm. Perhaps Ill go to Africa and bush fly in the twilight of my career, but at least I get to fly there with my current airline.

So Bloggs, nasty advice? Not yet 40 either........

Last edited by Craggenmore; 18th Jun 2011 at 13:52.