PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Alternate Question
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 09:08
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
AU601 1.2.1
A forecast must be either a flight forecast or an area forecast with an aerodrome forecast for the destination and, when required, the alternate aerodrome. For a flight to a destination for which a prescribed instrument procedure does not exist, the minimum requirement is an Area Forecast.
And it makes no mention of requiring an alternate. You still would require an alternate

AU601 1.4.1

A flight operating under IFR by day may be planned to a non-instrument procedure destination provided that the aircraft can be navigated in accordance with General Flight Procedures. When the forecast for the destination is below the alternate minima (i) specified in Airports and Ground Aids, the pilot-in-command must ensure that a suitable alternate has been nominated.

(i)
AU304 3.2.12c

For aerodromes without an instrument approach procedure, the alternate minima are the lowest safe altitude for the final route segment plus 500ft and a visibility of 8km
None of which you can reliably ascertain from an area forecast

All you've shown me are a few isolated paragraphs that through hazy inference suggest you can get away without an aerodrome forecast. Nothing that properly contradicts the black and white statement, listed at the very start of the Alternate requirements section of the AIP in no uncertain terms;

AIP ENR 1.1 57.1.3
When an aerodrome forecast is not available or provisional, the PIC must make provision for a suitable alternate that has a firm forecast.

There is no 57.1.3b "Unless you're pretty sure you can get specific enough information out of a area forecast.. after all, bathurst is near the ranges right?!"

In my books on an average weather day, you'd be a brave soul to fly without a TAF to an airport and plan to arrive there with min reserves because you picked the cloud base from the "CLD" section of the ARFOR and the vis from the vis description of a area a few thousand square KM.