PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Silhouette challenge
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2011, 05:57
the1pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was indeed an ugly bastard...

From 31st May 2011, 19:56 - It was indeed an ugly bastard...

The Burnelli was indeed 'different' than any other commercially accepted design. Ugly? Just a matter of perspective. Only Northrop and a few independent designers attempted to break away from the standard, inefficient tube and wing design. Only Burnelli lead the way and continued to improve his designs until his death in 1964. If you haven't already, check out this design at burnelli.com.

In fact, his last design has been compared to NASA designs of the 21st century. Rick Wood, Senior Aeronautical Engineer, NASA, Langley, used the word "striking" in a paper he wrote after stumbling onto the aircrash.org site over 10 years ago. He compared the GB-888A to the X-43B specifically but all the X-43 designs are very similar as is the latest that was tested last year, the X-51 WaveRider.

For all the advantages, e.g., twice the fuel economy, slower take offs, faster top speeds, less drag, more stability, more safety, it could be perceived as butt ugly by most and I'd still feel safer in one than in any tube and wing or the BWB. The GB-888 would our perform the BWB in almost every area just as it did with every similarly powered and sized plane of its day.

Check out the only known RC of Burnelli's 1964 supersonic airliner at the burnelli site, 1st page in. I'm workin' on it. (OK, I'm new to this so don't know how to post a picture on the page yet.)