PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - air trafic controllers
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2002, 10:13
Rotor Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with MD 600 Driver...

ATC is there to assist not to hinder and they should be consistent and helpful...

I had an incident with Liverpool not long out of PPL training... I was flying from North Wales and called up for FIS and to be on frequency with someone. The foreign sounding controller at Liverpool said what are you calling us for - you are outside the zone... and your track will stay outside!!! I said I wanted FIS anyway... the pedantic git then wanted me to repeat exactly every word back and I mean exactly! I missed out the VFR bit on my reply probably because its so obvious and because R22s always fly VFR and it was the brightest sunny blue sky day you could get but he insisted I repeat back what he had said... I didn't even realise at the time what I had missed and, slightly flustered, had to get him to repeat the entire message.... this all made the conversation pointless...

Then as I tracked the coast line, he called me to warn me of another R22 approaching 12 o'clock 3 miles and at that exact instant as his radio button was released, the other R22 passed me by, at the same height, within 200 or 300 feet!!

I believed he did nothing for the safety of my flight and for the record I called him to leave his frequency and told him he had been the most unhelpful ATC I had ever spoken to...

Incidentally, based in Leeds and often speaking to Leeds ATC, I find them most helpful, friendly and have no complaints at all... I find them very helicopter aware and they seem to realise that short radio comms are best for busy heli pilots....

I also find the military controllers like Waddington excellent...

I know MDs reaction well and often wonder myself if its worth calling ATC if you don't have to....