PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The problem with this industry is ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 21:36
Lattitude Nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get regulators onside (EASA and FAA licensing)

My letter from the CAA this week prompted me to have a look at EASA impact on FAA and N reg in Europe.....and there seems to be much erroneous debate here, (although I can really understand the frustration)
Elsewhere on this site, comparison with doctors trained outside the UK, for instance, overlooked the statistic that non-UK trained doctors are 4 times more likely to be "struck off". (Source: The Telegraph April 11th)
There is much comment agreeing that EASA's remit should focus on safety, but I would ask how this can be achieved when so many pilots fall outside their governance?
(Source: Emmanuel Davidson of AOPA France ...more than 10,000 European pilots holding FAA licenses flying in Europe.
Nobody has sensibly defined exactly why there are so many "flag-of-convenience" operators in Europe, but it shows huge naivety to suggest that "this is not for very compelling financial advantages", (Do an internet trawl of the various companies offering this service and read....SAVE MONEY)...so the comments on protectionism don't stand up.
Most pilot's who have studied JAA ATPL will have met other working pilots who are converting / adding the exams whilst working so it can be done.
Ultimately, when it comes to regulators on the scale of EASA there is no point in joining in with arguments which only reinforce the changes.
What is needed is debate which could move towards a level commercial playing field, where pilot training gains the recognition it deserves and where the regulator absolutely condemns and forbids the current regime..... where operators expect individuals to pay for type ratings and pay for uniforms, have their normal EU employment rights ignored and pay to have the privilege of working for them a etc etc.
Some commentary suggest that unionisation is to blame. Good point. (look at what individual unioniastion is doing to BA) but misses the big picture
The pilot community need really strong representation to work with regulators, on a global basis, to regulate against practices which skew recruitment solely in favor of people who can / will pay and move right back to a competence based system where good hard working pilots, with a modest investment, will be supported in their careers. We need to get the regulators onside, and stop picking petty battles.And we need grizzly, hard, senior pilots who have served their time to represent this and tell it like it is.