PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 21:10
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
De Havilland: Firstly, bravo on solving the Led Zepplin conundrum and what a great find in digging-up one of the rare images of GINA!

Secondly, BFYA, to the best of my knowledge, was never owned by Genavco/Fayed. The two aircraft supplied and managed by Ferranti were the Bell 206 G-BAKX (shown in post #742 above) and the Bell 206L G-BFAL (the UK's first LongRanger).

Ferranti were one of the pioneers who introduced twin-engine, IFR all-weather capability to the UK's executive market and, in this regard, it is almost certain that Genavco/Fayed would have chartered one or more of Ferranti's 105's from time to time. My assumption therefore is that BFYA's association with Fayed is through charter and the reference to ownership a mistake.

After the demise of Ferranti I'm not sure who took on Fayed's helicopter management responsibilities but, as you probably know, before long they began recruiting their own crews and ultimately morphed into Air Harrods.

Sav

SA341B AH1 XZ322 Gazelle at RAF Cosford on 12th June 2011 (Photo: Robert Beaver)

Army, Navy and Air Force Gazelles recently on display at RAF Cosford. I am intrigued by the the brown-tones, was this a common Army motif?

Also intrigued by the notice behind the cabin reading: NO POWER, NO BRAKES, NO HYDRAULICS and again by the wording on the rear door (beneath the red cross) which reads "Cabin Bulkhead".

The red cross (presumably indicating the location of the first aid kit) was a feature of Ferranti's aircraft but is not something I have often seen elsewhere.