PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 17:00
henra

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by PickyPerkins

Using the graphs in HeavyMetall's reference for the lowest aspect ratio (6), isn't it the case that stick forward, elevator down, would lead to a decrease in the lift on the THS, and hence a more nose-up attitude of the a/c?
This is maybe to some extent true if you change the angle of the THS.

But commanding ND Elevator does not change so much AoA but it changes the camber and thus the effective profile of the tail surface, thereby completely changing the lift curve.
You would need to compare the Cl of the cambered tailplane. I'm pretty sure the cambered tail will have more lift even at increased AoA.

Moreover as you already describe ND elevator would increase drag, thus increase ND forces. At these angles you can exopect the drag to be of similar magnitude if not higher that the Lift, especially for a heavily cambered profile.
what is also missing and what will also be influenced by ND elevator is the moment of the airfoil. Strong camber will add a ND moment.

Taken these aspects altogether, even if I have no specific data for the given case I would strongly tend to believe that ND elevator would have lead to Nose Down attitude change even at these AoA.