PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 15:50
Lonewolf_50

Received 424 Likes on 266 Posts
Murphy, about misunderstanding in the cockpit, it might get curiouser and curiouser ...

IF
you lose airspeed, or it becomes unreliable
AND
You are an A330 Pilot who is already reasonably familiar with previous incidents in your model aircraft ... since the manufacturer and your company put out bulletins and findings of previous UAS incidents
AND
You are in a UAS incident yourself

You do X, Y, and Z in response. (Comments in the cockpit on loss or lack of indications, which I presume it means airspeed, is what I am working with here ...)

At what point can you determine that the airspeed has stopped acting up and become reliable again?

The forensic analysis points toward about 45 seconds worth of bad airspeed, and then a return to reliable state ... how does the crew know that it has returned to reliable? Did they ever have a cue (problems with stall AoA's on pitot tubes considered) that AS was telling them good information again?

What is dwell time (human observation and perception not being a step function) between "it's bad" and "it looks good again" in a

Benign cockpit environment?
High task load cockpit environment?

Do the training pamphlets or the sim sessions devoted to UAS training address what symptoms tell you that your airspeed tapes are once again reilable?

You aren't using the old style circle gages, where the needle might stop agitating and then return to a more normal looking state. You are looking at the vertical strip. What discrete cues do you have? From the air data diagram that takata so kindly posted, it seems that the ISIS display might be the first cue, depending upon which pitot tube got itself back in order first.

I apologize for asking what might be an idiotic question, but I've not flown an A330, nor been exposed to A330 UAS malfunction/emergency training.

Hazelnuts39:
Was it 'one hell of an input'? 7000 fpm is achieved after 18 seconds of 0.2 g; 12 seconds of 0.3 g, or 9 seconds of 0.4 g.
Do you mean 1.2, 1.3 and 1.4g? (I am guessing that you meant a delta from a "stable" 1 g reference.)