PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Pilot Centre
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 12:06
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by vorloc111
Jugs, It's good to hear that you're happy with your progress. Simply slagging of Cabair because they're slightly more expensive is wrong
From previous dealings with Cabair I have found them to be a Highly Professional outfit with many very very experienced instructors.

As for PA28 vs C152. I value my safety. With 10+ years flying experience and hundreds of hours on both types, I would prefer to fly a PA28 every time. Reason = Flight Safety = due to better all round visibility; Important at the best of times, but even more so when you are training, as the instructor will be busy demonstrating/briefing/navigating/note taking etc.
Just my view mind...
I'm not going to comment on the two schools, but this last paragraph is utter cobblers.

Statistically the fatal accident rates are very similar on the C152 and PA28 (the straight wing PA28s are slightly worse than the C152, the tapered wing models slightly better), but one of the biggest deficiencies of every model of PA28 is that you have no view behind you, whilst the single engined Cessnas almost all boast a really very helpful rear window. The instrument panel of the C152 is slightly lower giving a better view over the nose as well.

Inevitably you can't see below you very well in the low winged PA28 and can't see much into a turn in the high winged C152.

Add in the considerable safety benefit of the pilot having their own door, less cluttered cockpit, and the shorter field performance - and, albeit by a small margin, the C152 is in my judgment the safer of the two aeroplanes.

Aesthetically, I admit that I also prefer the PA28 - but that's because I find it the more comfortable and enjoyable machine of two very safe training aeroplanes. That said, I'd choose neither if flying for pleasure - there are much more enjoyable flying machines out there, although arguably very few better ab-initio trainers.

G