PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Critical Foundations - WWII Airfields
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 11:24
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doering,

excellent, thanks are due to you at many levels.

I grew up and later worked at Dunsfold, a 1942 'field.

In about 2001, long after I then BAe left, the new owners ( property developers, sadly ) held an open meeting for local residents to hear their views, I and my father who had worked there for 35 years went along.

A lot of the locals had moved into this wealthy area since the airfield had closed, and many comments on the lines of " You're not going to have any nasty noisy aeroplanes are you ? " were trotted out...

In the end I couldn't stand it, beckoned the girl with the roving mic over, and said " This place was built in 1942 for quite a big event, you may have heard of it, it was called World War Two; since then many of Britains' great export achievments have been born here - and without places like this I'd be speaking in German; a lot of the NIMBY's here today would do well to think of that ! "

This did not go down well with the property developers or the 'new locals' ! Still it got a thin cheer from the few of my old colleagues present, and more to the point I'm happy to say the repeated planning requests submitted are steadfastly refused by the local council.

In 2001 I had a job photographing from Cessna's, the pilot would drool over Dunsfold as we went over the strangely still place, " What a Warbird restoration base that would be !".

Well, one can still hope.

Thanks again for an excellent video, something tells me that was not knocked up in an afternoon.