PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 In flight fire - a good lesson for jet transport pilots
Old 17th Jun 2011, 10:33
Knockitoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Centaurus,

How would you end up taking more than a minute to reach 400ft AGL in a B737..???? Aren't we supposed to reach Acc. Ht/Alt before shutting off the bad engine, hence we would be climbing with our 'normal' 2 Eng ROC, which I presume would be > 2000 fpm, thus taking just about 12 secs to cross 400ft.

None the less, I've tried in the Sims to do the actions before reaching Acc. ht and believe me it leads to a lot of confusion and utter chaos coz Firstly, your whole sequence goes for a toss. Secondly, now on 1 Eng you will end up taking longer to reach your Acc. ht and finish cleaning up your machine to reach FTO target speed (this defies the whole purpose of the procedure) and Thirdly, if so were the case, the manufacturer would have warranted a procedure to shut down the burnin' engine ASAP.

Believe me, the 'Don't Rush' approach is a life saver. The probability of having an Eng Fire on T/O is a million to one, and the day it happens, you gotta make sure you do things right the first time around, and you can only do that by ensuring your actions are not rushed.

Tc..