PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 09:35
A33Zab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THS

PJ2:

The A332 trim rate is 0.2deg/sec on AP and I believe the rate is the same for manual flight using the sidestick. The same 3 electric motors, (only one operating at a time, IIRC) drive the THS. Manual/mechanical trim is meant to be used and employs two hydraulic motors. The mechanical stops are part of both systems. A pawl and ratchet system prevents back-movement under air loads. From what I have been able to learn, I don't believe that the THS would return to a previous setting after a prolonged manoeuvre if the stick is merely relaxed, (neutral, no orders to the FMGEC > FCPCs). I believe the THS would remain "as is" in manual flight and the airplane would "settle" into the setting just as any airplane would. In autoflight it would of course, trim.
I’ve got these figures of THS rate.

If they stated: "there's only 1 motor in control" they mean the ELECTRICAL motors (P1,P2 & P3) whichs drives the control sleeve. Control sleeve position will be overriden by mechanical input (from handwheels)

The THS itself (the ballscrew) is driven by 2 hydraulic (B & Y) motors.

Max. Operating Load and Max. Speed (2 motors)

18940 daN (42578.81 lbf) ----- 0.4°/s
16950 daN (38105.11 lbf) ----- 1.0°/s
6770 daN (15219.56 lbf) ---- 1.2°/s

Half speed for 1 motor (1 hydr. B or Y system failure) operation.

Since the hinges are on the trailing edge and therefore the aerodynamic load on the drive spindle is in the AND (stab. Nose Up) direction (see diagram by Tailspin Turtle) it would take 12 sec. to travel from 13° back to 3° ANU. Or is that a too simple conclusion?

The rate for the BEA mentioned 1 minute to go from 3 to 13 ANU was 10°/60 = 0.16°/s.

Limit load (both compression as tension) is 32500 daN (73062.9 lbf).
I assume this limit load is mentioned as being the limit for the Hydr. motors to drive the THS.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 17th Jun 2011 at 17:49.