PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin: AFL winners!
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 08:51
forgetabowdit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read in the minor press outlets that it was a Flap Asymmetry problem that occurred as they where configuring to land in LST which, as many will know, necessitates a landing with less than landing flap. The result of this being a high speed landing which requires more landing distance (sometimes much more - depending on the amount of flap that was able to be selected before the Asymmetry was detected and the normal system automatically shut down).

As such, landing on a short, 2 degree sloped runway (I don't personally know the WX or time of day either), is likely to be considered completely inappropriate if possible at all on the QRH figures that the crew where no doubt running while holding at position Nile.

I note the flight was a charter flight for the AFL due the ash problem and therefore very light in payload. As such perhaps HBA was sufficient. I am surprised they didn't head to MEL! But as it is a very unlikely problem, I suggest that they may have only been carrying fuel for HBA for a divert - especially in the climate of high fuel prices dictating airlines to recommend less discretionary fuel being carried unnecessarily (whatever unnecessarily means!).

Also exists the possibility that if HBA was available and suitable for this crew and this aircraft in this situation (!), flying to a point that the passengers could fairly easily continue with their business may have been a deciding factor in the minds of the crew. I hasten to add that just because there is engineering support in LST as there is in HBA, does not necessarily mean anything in instances more than just a minor non-normal.

Thats it, another one solved... What's next...

Forgetabowdit