PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 07:40
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Early Ecureuils

De Havilland; thank you for your research efforts. The Zeppelin ship does seem to be something of a conundrum!

Ferguson Aviation's AS350B G-FERG landing at Blackbushe on 4th September 1980 during shuttle operations to Farnborough (Photo: Bill Teasdale)

G-FERG was formerly G-BGCW registered to Shawline in December 1978 then to Ferguson Aviation of Leavesdon Herts (would that be an airfield for MD 600 to park his mount while visiting Watford?) in October 1979 (when she became G-FERG) and then to the Colt Car Company of Cirencester (discussed on the previous page) where she became G-EORR.

McAlpine's G-BGIL imported in February 1979 and seen here at Cranfield on 8th Sep 1979. The craft was destroyed in 1982 (Photo: Ray Barber)

The Lord Glendyne's Ecureuil (delivered to him in February 1979) and seen here at Cranfield on 5th September 1981 (Photo: Alan Mosiezny)

De Havilland, as you say, the bulk of the UK's early Ecureuils were delivered in Aerospat's pastel-fawn with brown accents (above), the exceptions seem to have been Sopwith and D. Russell (below) who employed blue tones.

D. Russell's AS350B (delivered in May '79) at Elstree on 28th June 1979 (Photo: Alan Mosiezny)

In the absence of any further information I'm going to take a stab at it and say that the Zeppelin ship was probably Sopwith's but wearing a scheme prior to the two versions so kindly posted by Helipixman!

Shawline: If I recall rightly these guys were based somewhere near Brands Hatch (close to where Barry Sheene used to live .. I think). If they are the ones .. then I seem to recall that they were a fairly small outfit, beyond that I know very little about them. Dennisimo would surely know more.

In addition to more info on Shawline it would also be interesting to discover any history relating to D. Russell's aircraft as well as that of the Lord Glendyne.