PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread no. 4
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2011, 03:01
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
stalls, OODA, THS "laws"

Salute!

- First of all, there are "stalls". Then "deep stalls". Then "deep" stalls. So despite my posts describing a true "deep stall" in another jet, I can't say for sure if the Bus will do the same thing. I brought it up because the other jet was FBW and it was not a T-tail ( the config normally associated with a "deep stall"). My only valid comparison is the FBW system tried to do its best to no avail. In our case we had a large aft c.g. and a demonstrated pitch moment at a certain AoA that allowed the jet to settle into a true "deep stall".

Then there are "deep" stalls. Way beyond C-sub-ell max, but basic static stability and nose down stab/elevator usually allows recovery.

- I can't think of any pilot that does not employ the OODA principle, especially when making an instrument approach. Further, if it had not been for Boyd, Moody Suter, Sprey, et al, I would never had the chance to fly the first operational 100% FBW jet ( and no trim wheel for the THS, just our last-ditch manual pitch override doofer).

- PJ and another one or two agreed with my view of the THS trim law, but another pilot has implied that under certain conditions or reversions that the pitch control trim becomes more of an "attitude" command versus a gee command, and then an AoA command when certain limits are reached.

My point is that from the manuals' description, the HS is trimmed so that a stick command is always a gee when the gear is up or some AoA limits are reached or .... Gets confusing, don't it? So pull back a bit, then relax and the jet climbs at 1 gee corrected for pitch. So at a 30 deg attitude, it would trim the jet hands-off for a 0.87 gee normal force on your body, at 45 degrees 0.707, and the beat goes on. This makes sense for a heavy, as a continuos 1 gee would result in ever-increasing pitch, wouldn't it?

So the jet might appear to be in an attitude control mode, but damned if I can find that in the descriptions.

The potential problem that may deserve attention in this accident and with respect to the Airbus control laws is what does the THS do if the pilot has a small, but constant back stick when the jet is already at 1 gee , or even a bit less ???

more later.....